Steven Hassan, PhD
America's Leading Cult Expert
What I Can Do
I have helped thousands of individuals and families recover from undue influence (mind control).
With over 40 years of experience, I am sought after as one of the foremost authorities on undue influence and controlling groups and individuals.
Licensed Mental Health Counselor & Consultant
I provide consulting services including intervention, recovery and litigation consulting.
I created the Strategic Interactive Approach which is team-based intervention method for families helping a loved one leave controlling people, cult groups, and beliefs.
I developed the Freedom of Mind Approach to Recovery & Healing to help people to recover after they leave an undue influence situation.
I provide Litigation Consulting for lawyers with court cases involving undue influence.
Speaker, Trainer, Course & Program Developer
I provide education and training services including including webinars, on-line courses, workshops, plenary talks, and professional training. My audiences include higher education, professional, law enforcement, governmental, non-governmental and advocacy group audiences. My foundational online course helps people to understand the problem of undue influence.
I conduct research to improve how undue influence is understood and program development to improve access to services that address the problem of undue influence. I created the BITE Model of Authoritarian Control and Influence Continuum Model to help people identify undue influence tactics and assess where an influencer falls on a continuum from not harmful to extremely harmful. These models are used around the world.
Author, Blogger, Podcaster, Media Guest
I have written 4 different books about undue influence, freedom of mind, and strategies for protection, rescue and recovery from undue influence. I also contribute chapters to academic texts, author academic journal articles, write op-eds for media, and have two blogs and a podcast. I am a translated author with books in 10 languages. I am a frequently requested media guest.
A Few of My Skills
Areas of Expertise
My Books & Courses
I develop unique books, courses, curricula and other educational content to meet the needs of a wide variety of audiences.
Lets Work Together
Let’s combat undue influence together. I’m always happy and excited to consider new consultation requests and projects.
Freedom of Mind Blog
- Wisdom from the Psychedelic Underground with Rachel Harris, PhD
- Redemption and the Prison System with Ramadan Shabazz and Richard Parker, MD
- Finding Her Way Out of Scientology’s Infamous Sea Org with Katherine Spallino
- Surviving our Catastrophes: Celebrating the Resilience and Renewal of Survivors with Robert Jay Lifton, M.D.
- In Memoriam: Alan W. Scheflin
- The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump and Censorship of Experts with Bandy X. Lee M.D.
- Chinese Netizen’s protests and Freedom of Mind as a Human Right with Researcher Matt Bywater
- Identifying and Healing Religious Trauma, with Darren M. Slade, Ph.D.
- Exiting the Cult of Trump with #Jan6er Pam Hemphill
- Sins of my Father: Growing up with America’s Most Dangerous White Supremacist with Kelvin Pierce
- The Rod of Fear: Combating Gun Violence with Jonathan Lowy
- Unmasking the Kundalini Yoga Cult of Yogi Bhajan With Els Coenen
- Forager: Field Notes on Surviving a Family Cult with Michelle Dowd
- Country Over Party: An Interview With Denver Riggleman
- Forensic Psychologist and Cult Expert Dr. Steve Eichel on Hypnosis, Social Contagion, and Disinformation